Sharps Disposal Service
Sharps MUST be packaged in approved sharps containers.
The Alameda County Department of Environmental Health now provides a better, safe and practical solution for residents that generate “sharps” waste.
The HHW program is accepting home generated “sharps” waste from Alameda County residents.
Alameda County residents can now dispose of their own home generated “sharps” waste safely and conveniently at any of Alameda County’s Household Hazardous Waste facilities, FREE!
This program is applicable to home generated “sharps” waste only. All businesses that generate sharps are required by the Medical Waste Management Act to have their biohazardous waste picked up by a registered biohazardous waste hauler.
DO NOT PUT SHARPS IN YOUR GARBAGE OR RECYCLING BIN!
Here are a few simple steps to use the Alameda County program:
- Proof of Alameda County residency is required (such as a drivers license or utility bill).
- Obtain a sharps container from your medical provider or local pharmacy where you purchase your injectable supplies.
- Follow the instructions on the container – Don’t fill it all the way.
- Close the container according to the instructions.
- Check our schedule and bring it to one of our Household Hazardous Waste Facilities. As long as you are coming down…bring any other household hazardous waste you might have too!
- Keep the container in the passenger compartment with you separate from any other waste you may bring, and let the greeter know you have sharps with you when you arrive.
- That’s it!! Our technicians will accept your waste and safely dispose of it in a way that will render it harmless and non-infectious.
If you have a business that generates biohazardous or medical waste, or you are a traveling nurse call us at 510-567-6756 for details on proper disposal.
Sharps containers are available at most chain pharmacies and drugstores and at your local Health Plan Pharmacy. Check with your health provider at the time your prescription is written.
If you have difficulty finding your first container, call us - we can help. We can even get you your first one free if you can’t find it at your local drug store.
Call us at 510-670-6460 or toll-free 1-800-606-6606 or email HHWSharps@acgov.org for more details.