Medicine and Prescription Drugs
- Old medicine can be recycled at all Alameda County Hazardous Waste facilities. The facilities CANNOT ACCEPT CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES.
- Search Recycle Where? for other locations.
- Needles and other sharps – must be packaged in approved sharps containers made with puncture and leak-resistant plastic. Find out more.
- Pills should be poured out into Ziploc bags (it protects your privacy and lowers disposal costs). It's ok to mix all your pills in one bag.
- Liquids and creams: leave in their original container and secure caps/lids, black out any personally identifying information and place in a Ziploc bag.
- Keep medicine in the passenger compartment separate from other waste ready to hand out the window at the HHW facility.
Prescription controlled substances are drugs that have a high potential for abuse and may lead to physical or psychological dependence. Due to legal restrictions the HHW facilities and many other drop off locations CANNOT ACCEPT CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES. Check the table below for locations that accept controlled substances.
Controlled Substances Include:
- Narcotic pain medications such as Vicodin, Oxycontin, and Codeine.
- Sleeping pills such as Valium, Lunesta, and Ambien.
- ADD/ADHS drugs such as Concerta, and Adderall.
- Antidepressants such as Zoloft.
- Cough syrups with Codeine.
For a complete listing of controlled substances:
Locations that Accept Controlled and Non-Controlled Medicine
|Haller's Pharmacy||Newark||6170 Thornton Blvd.|
|Newark Police Department||Newark||37101 Newark Blvd.|
|Jade Pharmacy||Fremont||34460 Fremont Blvd. Suite B|
|Haller's Pharmacy and Medical Supply||Fremont||37323 Fremont Blvd.|
|Kaiser Pharmacy||Fremont||39400 Paseo Padre Parkway|
|Mowry Medical Pharmacy||Fremont||1999 Mowry Ave. Suite 2A|
|Capsule Pharmacy||Fremont||2557 Mowry Ave. Suite 11|
|Kaiser Pharmacy||Union City||3553 Whipple Rd.|
|Teds Drugs||Hayward||27453 Hesperian Blvd.|
|Tennyson Pharmacy||Hayward||589 W Tennyson Rd.|
|Mission Pharmacy||Hayward||22138 Mission Blvd.|
|Pleasanton Police Department||Pleasanton||4833 Bernal Ave.|
|Kaiser Pharmacy||Pleasanton||7601 Stoneridge Dr.|
|Dublin Police Department||Dublin||100 Civic Plaza|
|Kaiser Pharmacy||Livermore||3000 Las Positas Rd.|
|Walgreens||San Leandro||15500 Washington Ave.|
|Alameda County Sheriff's Eden Substation||San Leandro||15000 Foothill Blvd.|
|San Leandro Hospital||San Leandro||13855 E. 14th St.|
|New Oakland Pharmacy #1||Oakland||333 9th St.|
|Highland Hospital||Oakland||1411 E. 31st St.|
|New Oakland Pharmacy Lake Merritt||Oakland||250 E 18th St. 3rd floor|
|New Oakland Pharmacy #2||Oakland||388 9th St. Suite 108|
|Wellspring Pharmacy||Oakland||4184C Piedmont Ave.|
|Kaiser Pharmacy||Oakland||3801 Howe St. 1st floor|
|Kaiser Pharmacy||Oakland||3505 Broadway|
|Kaiser Pharmacy||Oakland||3701 Broadway 1st floor|
|Kaiser Pharmacy||Oakland||3600 Broadway, 1st floor|
|Vitacare Pharmacy||Oakland||2447 Telegraph Ave.|
|Piedmont Police Department||Piedmont||403 Highland Ave.|
|Alameda Hospital||Alameda||2070 Clinton Ave.|
|Alameda Police Department||Alameda||2263 Santa Clara Ave.|
|Midtown Pharmacy Professional Corp||Alameda||2173 Harbor Bay Parkway|
|Kaiser Pharmacy||Alameda||2417 Central Ave.|
|Walgreens||Alameda||2300 Otis Dr.|
|Stanford Health Care||Emeryville||5800 Hollis Ave.|
|Emeryville Police Department||Emeryville||2449 Powell St.|
|Berkeley Police Department||Berkeley||2100 Martin Luther King Jr. Way|
|United Pharmacy||Berkeley||2929 Telegraph Ave.|